8/2/07

Illegal Immigration

I try to be moderate about this, but I do have conservative leanings on the subject. I think some control is necessary, and that the argument that they were here first doesn't hold water, especially given the unacceptable possible precedence it could set. I am not a no borders, share and share alike guy.

Where I am less conservative is in the totality of the solutions. Not deporting is all right with me, and I am not opposed to some amnesty, mostly indifferent. Also, I am for easing the rules for the path to citizenship if they can be shown as unreasanable per the average immigrants abilities to abide by them; fining them is enough for me.

But what offends me is that these immigration rights advocates, legal or illegal, arrogance. Even though I am not for harshly punishing them, I am becoming angry; they show no humility. I'm at least willing to consider such things as reparations, investing in the immgrants' host nations, but they seem to think they are owed. How helpful they've been to America is something I'll leave to others, but the idea that one is owed because they did good after breaking the law is a rather dubious moral concept.

Waving our flag won't help. I'm not about to become draconian on this, but I am getting angry, and I think I have a right to be.

No comments: