8/2/07

How I pretend to think: Gay marriage and guns examples.

What I try to let guide my views on public issues are the following.

My sincerity of interest.

My sincerity of empathy.

Comparison of consequences.

Individual rights.

Honesty.

Fairness.

Humbleness.

The merits of others' contentions.
Etc.

So, because I see no reason to fear them, don't believe any religion has the privilege of owning the definition of the inherently social institution of marriage, I see no rational reason to fear gays or be against them marrying, and feel no aversion to it, therefor, gays should be allowed to get married, the state should recognize it, and those opposed should be ashamed for absurdly thinking they own something so intrinsically natural as marriage, and admit to being paranoid.

Because I believe the right of the individual to defend himself against inteded harm, and because I believe guns to be an objective means of defense, noting the variation of circumstances, I see a person's right to use one to effect his defense as superior to the right of a bystander against bodily harm against a more hypothetical or indirect threat. Put most simply and bluntly, I have the right to defend myself with one if I see it as necessary, even if I endanger others.

No comments: